GAME PLAY RULES
First and foremost, these leagues are intended to be fun, social and recreational in nature. Accordingly, aggressive or confrontational behavior will not be tolerated. If there is a dispute, replay a point or notify a volleyball coordinator. Mgmt. has the final authority on all disputes.
Seriously – just have a good time in our leagues.
- Each member of a team shall rotate clockwise for service.
- Server must hit the ball with both feet behind the end line.
- Returning team may not spike/block a serve return.
- Serves that hit the net and go over are considered “legal”
- No player may serve twice in a row after the other team has sided out their first serve, you must plan your substitutions accordingly.
- Substitutions can only be made in positions that are next to a boundary line.
- Substitutions must be made at the same spot designated by what position on the court that you make your first substitution.
Other game rules
- Each team may hit a ball 3 times before the ball is hit to the opposing team (Duh!).
- Touching a ball (other than a block) is considered a hit.
- A ball is “in-play” until it touches the ground or hits an out of bounds object.
- Two players touching a ball at the same time counts as one “hit* and either may return hit it again.
- Don’t scoop, lift or throw the ball.
- The ball can make contact with any part of your body and count as a hit but must only contact one part of your body or multiple parts
simultaneously to be considered a legal contact.
- Touch the net? Lose the point.
- Spikers may cross the “net-line” with a follow through but not touch the net.
- Blockers may not reach over the net and contact the ball before the hitter has had their chance to contact the ball unless any part of the ball is
directly above the net(plane).
- Players may cross the net-line under the net, unless it interferes with the opposing team’s play.
- Disputes: In the case of an honest dispute – REPLAY THE POINT!